Intro to Comics and Graphic Novels
Session Dates: June 23, 2019 - July 6, 2019
Spend the summer learning about the history of comics and graphic novels, and creating your own comic! This course will provide an opportunity to explore visual storytelling, learning various genres and comic vocabulary as well as the process of creating comic books. You will work with a group of your peers to develop original stories and designs, utilizing creative technology to breathe life into a comic of your very own.
The ability to combine words and images as “sequential art” is a skill that has real world application. When taking form as comic books and graphic novels, these become unique ways for students to explore their creative skills and interests, telling meaningful stories about their everyday experiences. Students will go home with their own finished, printed comic produced in class.
- Gain an understanding of the history of comics and graphic novels
- Learn about various comic genres and basic vocabulary
- Work in a group of peers to develop stories and comics of your very own
Tuition and Fees
Application Fee: $50
2019 Program Cost: Tuition for next summer's program will be announced in October
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing for 2 weeks
- All meals
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- A trip to Disneyland
- An additional weekend day trip off campus
The cost does not include transportation to and from the program itself, personal spending money, or other incidentals.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
2019 Application Requirements
This class is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors. No previous animation or drawing experience required.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $50 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Want to be the first to know when applications open? Add your name to our mailing list.