Intro to Photojournalism
Session Dates: July 14, 2019 - July 27, 2019
This course is designed to introduce students to the practice, ethics and technique of documentary photography and photojournalism. Students will learn how to tell compelling, complex and complete stories visually, using compositions and approaches to image-making that engage media consumers.
Participants will learn the differences between photojournalism and documentary, as well as understand the impact and uses of various platforms such as social media, broadcast, online news media, magazines and newspapers.
This course encourages deep analysis of the images we make and consume, seeking to improve students’ visual media literacy alongside teaching the skills of photojournalistic production. Students will complete a longform photo essay over the course of the class with accompanying writing and will finish the course with a portfolio of single images.
Los Angeles Area Excursion
In addition to classroom lectures, guest photographers and in-class photo exercises, students will venture into the colorful and charismatic landscape of Los Angeles to find photo subjects. Students will also experience LA’s rich photography offerings via visits to Annenberg Space for Photography and similar museum exhibits.
- Develop a foundational understanding to telling stories visually
- Learn to analyze visual media and recognize an ethical approach to photojournalism
- Explore how images can produce or reiterate particular ideas about people and places
Tuition and Fees
Application Fee: $60
2019 Program Cost: $4,400
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing for 2 weeks
- All meals
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- A trip to Universal Studios
- An additional weekend day trip off campus
The cost does not include transportation to and from the program itself, personal spending money, or other incidentals.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our .
2019 Application Requirements
This class is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors. No previous photography experience is required.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $60 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Applications are now available for Summer 2019!