Acting for the Camera
In the heart of the film and television industry, under the guidance of LMU faculty, who are longtime professional actors with credits including 24, That 70s Show, Entourage, Beauty Shop, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Mad Men, The Mentalist, Switched at Birth and The Big Bang Theory, students will explore the techniques used to craft performances for the camera, with a focus on film, television and web series. In addition to camera basics, students will learn about working with lighting, microphones and editing programs. Daily opportunities to perform on camera, review the takes and have one’s work critiqued are supplemented with script analysis and discussions on crafting strong acting choices. Every student will perform a variety of scenes on camera with a variety of partners from the workshop.
Students will leave the two-week program with a reel of scenes demonstrating their work on camera. LMU offers a truly unique opportunity to study acting for the camera in the city synonymous with film and television.
In Your Words: The Summer Acting Experience
Hear from former Acting for the Camera students about their experience in the program.
Los Angeles Area Excursion
Students enrolled in the Acting for the Camera course will have the opportunity to tour a local film or television studio.
- Develop practical communication skills while enhancing acting techniques
- Gain exposure to the demands and challenges of acting on camera
- Explore the human experience through performance
Tuition and Fees
Application Fee: $60
2019 Program Cost: $4,400*
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing for 2 weeks
- All meals
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- A trip to Universal Studios
- An additional weekend day trip off campus
The cost does not include transportation to and from the program itself, personal spending money, or other incidentals.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
*Costs for Summer 2020 will be available beginning in October
2020 Application Requirements
This class is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $60 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Applications for Summer 2020 will be available beginning November 15.