From Books to Zines: Graphic Design for Publication
Program Dates: June 28, 2020 - July 11, 2020
Print and digital publications come in all forms and cover a wide variety of important, worldly topics. From political magazines to young adult novels, there are vibrant design opportunities across a spectrum of fields and interests for anyone with the skills to blend design and story. This course looks at what makes each of those publication types unique, as well as what design elements contribute to making them each a powerful medium in their own right.
An introduction to the basic principles of visual design, daily lessons will be applied to communication problems involving message and audience. After two weeks, students will develop conceptual and problem-solving skills to create graphic form for a range of publication content.
This intermediate course is designed for students who have a basic understanding of Adobe Creative Suite. Participants will leave the workshop with submissions for their portfolio or pieces they can submit during the college application process.
In addition to their work in the classroom, students will visit the art and design department for a local magazine or book publisher to learn about real-world applications for graphic design for publishing.
- Gain a basic understanding of principles and practices of electronic imaging as they apply to graphics, art and design
- Develop conceptual and problem-solving skills to create graphic form for a range of content
- Understand the elements of design for publication and how to apply them, including systems, navigational devices, typography, illustration and photography
Application Fee: $60
2020 Program Cost: $4,800
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing for 2 weeks
- All meals
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- A trip to Disneyland
- An additional weekend day trip off campus
The cost does not include transportation to and from the program itself, personal spending money, or other incidentals.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Tuition and Fees page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $60 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Summer 2020 applications are now available!