Intro to Design for Stage and Screen
Program Dates: July 19, 2020 - August 1, 2020
This course is designed to introduce students to the practice and techniques of Costume, Set, and Lighting design for theatre and film. Students will learn how to tell stories visually, using research and design ideas to engage an audience and relate the script.
Students will draw, paint, and develop their own ideas around a piece. While no formal training is required for this introductory class, passion for drawing, painting and design will be beneficial to participants. Applicants are invited to supply five samples of drawings, paintings or designs as part of their application materials. Students will see two shows and have the opportunity to analyze the designs and how they relate to the production.
This course encourages deep analysis of the characters and stories we make and consume, seeking to improve students visual literacy alongside teaching the skills of design. Students will complete a series of drawings, paintings, small scenic models over the course of the class and will finish the course with a portfolio of designs.
In addition to classroom lectures, guest speakers, and in-class exercises, participants will venture out into Los Angeles to see a professional stage production as well as the set of a film or television production.
- Learn basic drawing/painting skills
- Learn about visual storytelling mechanisms and character creation
- Learn to read/analyze performances via design
Application Fee: $60
2020 Program Cost: $4,800
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing for 2 weeks
- All meals
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- A trip to Disneyland
- An additional weekend day trip off campus
The cost does not include transportation to and from the program itself, personal spending money, or other incidentals.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors only.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- Five (5) Sample Images of drawings or designs
- $60 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Summer 2020 applications are now available!