Make Something! An Introduction to Three-Dimensional (3D) Design
Program Dates: June 28, 2020 - July 11, 2020
Make Something! An Introduction to 3D Design is a hands-on workshop promoting creativity and personal artistic expression. Through basic visual problem solving and conceptualization, students will explore the elements of art and principles of design, while developing a more focused level of skill with various tools and media.
Engaging in a series of functional art and sculptural design projects, students are encouraged to experiment with a range of materials including wood, plastic, resin, cardboard, and plaster, while better understanding a variety of processes, including power tools, laser-cutting, and casting. This course is designed with exercises that are great for anyone seeking to evolve creatively, including students new to design.
Participants will leave class with a portfolio of work, which they can use in their college applications, as well as an advanced sense of their own artistic vision. There are no art prerequisites for this program, however students must be rising juniors or seniors by the start of summer to apply.
In addition to their work in the studio, students will attend field trips to view exhibits at Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and The Broad.
- Gain an understanding of design principals and visual organization
- Exposure to special tools, techniques, and methods
- Develop verbal, visual, and technical skills essential for planning, executing, critically analyzing, and evaluating three-dimensional works of art
Application Fee: $60
2020 Program Cost: $4,800
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing for 2 weeks
- All meals
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- A trip to Disneyland
- An additional weekend day trip off campus
The cost does not include transportation to and from the program itself, personal spending money, or other incidentals.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Tuition and Fees page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $60 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Summer 2020 applications are now available!