Intro to Design for Stage and Screen
Session Dates: June 27 - July 10, 2021
Developing visual stories through costumes, set and lighting design.
This course is designed to introduce students to the practice and techniques of Costume and Set design for Theatre and Film.
This exciting online course encourages deep analysis of the characters and stories we make and consume, seeking to improve students' visual literacy alongside teaching the skills of design. Online group work will include instruction from faculty as well as student presentations of their work. Throughout the two-week program, students will:
- Make a series of drawings based on a script
- Read the script
- Research the script’s details
- Make sketches/collages/or representations of their designs
Additional activities include:
- Read a selected small play and research it
- Virtual Field trips
- Zoom visits from Professionals to discuss their work
Students will leave the course with pieces that can be used in their portfolio or for future college applications.
Pre-College Summer Programs for high school students will be offered exclusively through online instruction in summer 2021.
Students who participated last summer enjoyed a wide variety of extra-curricular opportunities that enhanced their academic studies. Whether competing for first place in our virtual “House Competition,” receiving daily 1-on-1 and group support from current LMU undergraduates, or dropping into nightly social activities with peers – students felt that one aspect of summer they loved most was the sense of community they built during their time online with LMU.
- Learn basic drawing/painting skills
- Learn about visual storytelling mechanisms and character creation
- Learn to read/analyze performances via design
Application Fee: $65
2021 Program Cost: $2,700
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for online two-week, non-credit course
- Course books and materials*
- College preparedness workshops with LMU Admission and Financial Aid offices
- Career readiness workshops with LMU's Career and Professional Development office
- Online social activities with LMU's student ambassadors
- Access to current LMU faculty, staff, and students to answer any questions about the theatre industry, the college application process, life at LMU and more!
*A personal computer or video conferencing capable mobile device and internet access are required for this course and are not covered in the cost of tuition and fees.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors only.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- Five (5) Sample Images of drawings or designs
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2021.
Create the World You Want to Live In
Design for Stage and Screen pre-college applications are now open.