Make Something! An Introduction to Three-Dimensional (3D) Design
Session Dates: June 27 - July 10, 2021
A hands-on workshop promoting personal artistic expression.
Make Something! An Introduction to 3D Design is a remote workshop promoting creativity and personal artistic expression. Through basic visual problem solving and conceptualization, students will explore the elements of art and principles of design, while developing a more focused level of skill with various materials and techniques.
Engaging in a series of functional art and sculptural design projects from home, students are encouraged to experiment with a range of non traditional sculptural materials including cardboard, packaging tape, and LED strips while better understanding a variety of processes, including basic building techniques, casting processes, etc. This course is designed with projects that are great for anyone seeking to evolve creatively. There are no art prerequisites for this program, however students must be rising juniors or seniors by the start of summer to apply.
Participants will leave class with a series of portfolio-ready works, which they can use in their college applications, as well as an advanced sense of their own artistic vision.
Pre-College Summer Programs for high school students will be offered exclusively through online instruction in summer 2021.
Students who participated last summer enjoyed a wide variety of extra-curricular opportunities that enhanced their academic studies. Whether competing for first place in our virtual “House Competition,” receiving daily 1-on-1 and group support from current LMU undergraduates, or dropping into nightly social activities with peers – students felt that one aspect of summer they loved most was the sense of community they built during their time online with LMU.
- Gain an understanding of design principals and visual organization
- Exposure to special tools, techniques, and methods
- Develop verbal, visual, and technical skills essential for planning, executing, critically analyzing, and evaluating three-dimensional works of art
Application Fee: $65
2021 Program Cost: $2,700
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for online two-week, non-credit course
- Course books and materials*
- College preparedness workshops with LMU Admission and Financial Aid offices
- Career readiness workshops with LMU's Career and Professional Development office
- Online social activities with LMU's student ambassadors
- Access to current LMU faculty, staff, and students to answer any questions about the studio arts major, the college application process, life at LMU and more!
*A personal computer or video conferencing capable mobile device and internet access are required for this course and are not covered in the cost of tuition and fees.
*Student will be required to obtain access to Adobe Creative Suite. One month of access is $19.99 for students. A free two-week trial is also available if you are unable to purchase this suite. Contact Summer Programs if you have questions about accessing this program.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Tuition and Fees page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2021.
Design the World You Want to Live In
"Make Something! Introduction to 3D Design" pre-college applications are now open.