Analysis: Literature to Counterintelligence
Session Dates: June 25 - July 8, 2023
Valuing the imaginative and world-building capacity of literature across cultures and history.
Literary analysis is not an attempt to define literature but to understand the immersive record of "Being" expressed by what is called literature.
In this course, we will explore the relationship between literary theory and literary analysis. And, we will learn the analytical competencies that make literary analysis indispensable to literary scholars and casual readers, data miners, preachers, advertisers, and the intelligence community. In short, to know what a text means, we first must be able to say how it means.
We will begin by examining how various disciplines such as the sciences, athletics, and intelligence agencies do analysis. Then we will turn to short films and short stories to develop our own analytical skills.
This course is a residential program on LMU's Los Angeles-area campus. There are no commuter options at this time - all participants are required to live on campus for the duration of their program.
In addition to their work in the classroom, students will leave campus for a field trip related to course content.
- Know how to read literature closely and understand the appropriate technical and critical vocabulary to interpret it.
- Analyze a literary text and discern secondary sources relevant, informative, and necessary to understand the richness of its world.
- Understand the unique potentiality of literature to convey the ambiguities and complexity of human experience.
- Learn how to construct arguments based on the evidence supplied by a literary text and use appropriate critical frameworks to contextualize and ground their interpretations.
Application Fee: $65
2023 Program Cost: $5,400
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing and meals for two weeks
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- Two weekend social trips off campus
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Expand Your Horizons at LMU
Applications are currently closed for Summer 2023's "Analysis: Literature to Counterintelligence" program. We welcome any questions you may have about other 2023 offerings or future business summer courses at LMU.