Design for Stage and Screen
Developing visual stories through costumes, set and lighting design.
This course is designed to introduce students to the practice and techniques of costume and set design for theatre and film.
This exciting course encourages deep analysis of the characters and stories we make and consume, seeking to improve students' visual literacy alongside teaching the skills of design. Focusing on the element of visual storytelling, students will research and design ideas intended to engage an audience and relate a script. Instruction will include seeing two plays with an eye toward analyzing how its designs relate to the production.
Throughout the two-week program, students can expect to:
- Read scripts and do research based on the scripts' details
- Make a series of drawings or small scenic models based on a script
- Make sketches/collages/or representations of their designs
Additional activities include:
- Field trips to local Los Angeles area theatres
- Workshops with industry professionals to discuss their work
Participants will leave the course with pieces that can be used in their portfolio or for future college applications.
Design for Stage and Screen is a residential program on LMU's Los Angeles-area campus. There are no commuter options at this time - all participants are required to live on campus for the duration of their program.
Students enrolled in the Design for Stage and Screen course will have the opportunity to visit local theatres and experience live plays with an eye toward analyzing how the designs relate to the production.
- Learn basic drawing/painting skills
- Learn about visual storytelling mechanisms and character creation
- Learn to read/analyze performances via design
Application Fee: $65
2023 Program Cost: $5,400
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing and meals for two weeks
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- Two weekend social trips off campus
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- Five (5) Sample Images of drawings or designs
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Create the World You Want to Live In
Applications are currently closed for Summer 2023's Design for Stage and Screen program, but we welcome any questions you may have about future programming. Pre-college courses for 2024 will be available online in October 2023. Please check back soon for additional details!