Graphic Design for Publication
Session Dates: June 23 - July 6, 2024
Designing the World According to You.Watch Video
Print and digital publications come in all forms and cover a wide variety of important, worldly topics. From political magazines to young adult novels, there are vibrant design opportunities across a spectrum of fields and interests for anyone with the skills to blend design and story. This course looks at what makes each of those publication types unique, as well as what design elements contribute to making them each a powerful medium in their own right.
An introduction to the basic principles of visual design, daily lessons will be applied to communication problems involving message and audience. After two weeks, students will develop conceptual and problem-solving skills and use them to create graphic form for digital Zine (e-magazine).
This course will cover fundamentals of messaging, image-making, word and image exercises, typographic hierarchy, generating powerful ideas, digital collages, and designing an interactive PDF.
Graphic Design for Publication is a residential program on LMU's Los Angeles-area campus. There are no commuter options at this time - all participants are required to live on campus for the duration of their program.
Past programs have included trips to museum exhibits and historic Los Angeles area printing companies, where graphic design students are able to better understand the process of designing and producing quality print materials.
- Gain a basic understanding of principles and practices of electronic imaging as they apply to graphics, art and design
- Develop conceptual and problem-solving skills to create graphic form for a range of content
- Understand the elements of design for publication and how to apply them, including systems, navigational devices, typography, illustration and photography
Application Fee: $65
2024 Program Cost: $5,800
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing and meals for two weeks
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- Two weekend social trips off campus
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Design the World You Want to Live In
Join our mailing list or submit your application by our March 15, 2024 deadline.