Beginning Screenwriting (Online)
Session Dates: July 17- July 28, 2023
A dynamic workshop in on-screen storytelling from the comfort of your home.
Recognized as one of the top 10 film schools in the U.S. by The Hollywood Reporter, there’s no better place to cultivate your creative identity this summer than in a personalized online screenwriting workshop with the LMU School of Film and Television.
Under the guidance of full-time faculty, who are also professional screenwriters, students will broaden their writing skills, develop their unique voices, and learn the basic elements of screenwriting. Structure, character development, dialogue, descriptive action, formatting, and genre will be explored and put into practice in a supportive workshop environment.
Modeled after the evolving look of the writing and pre-production process, this online program allows students insight into the remote "writer's room" format. Small class sizes allow for all students' writing to be workshopped with full feedback from both peers and faculty. Ideal for the highly motivated, students should enter this program open to honest and meaningful collaboration with peers, a willingness to offer and receive constructive criticism, and the desire to learn while having fun.
Students will leave the program with a short script.
The Beginning Screenwriting (Online) course will be held online via the Zoom meeting platform in 2023. No on-campus housing or social activities are provided as part of this course. Once enrolled, students will receive login information for our Summer Lion portal, where they will access classroom Zoom links, course assignments and more.
Want the on-campus experience?
Check out our on-campus pre-college screenwriting program. View the on-campus course description>>
- Learn the basics the script development process from the comfort of home
- Gain a deeper understanding of cinematic storytelling
- Enhance your writing skills
Application Fee: $65
2023 Program Cost: $2,200
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Course materials mailed home (if required)*
- College Admission and Financial Aid workshops
- Workshops with LMU's Career and Professional Development office
- In-Depth access to current LMU faculty, staff, and students to answer any questions about the film industry, the college application process, life at LMU and more!
*A personal computer or video conferencing capable mobile device and internet access are required for this course and are not covered in the cost of tuition and fees.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This program is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Additional Creative Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- $65 application fee
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- A Zoom interview may be requested after submission of application materials is complete
Write Your Story With LMU
We welcome any questions you have as you make your plans for summer 2023. Submit your application by our March 15, 2023 deadline for the best chance at being placed in your first-choice program.