Session Dates: June 23 - July 19, 2024
A hands-on experience for future engineers.
Curious about a future in engineering? Join us on campus this summer for "Exploring Engineering" an introduction to important concepts in mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering disciplines.
This course is designed to introduce basic concepts relevant to engineering and to promote interest in the profession. The course seeks to establish a solid foundation of technical, creative, team work, and communication skills for engineers through effective problem-solving, analysis, and design techniques. Practical computer applications are integrated as tools to solve engineering problems through the use of spreadsheets and other software. The course introduces the use of manual and computer graphics in engineering design.
Students who successfully complete this program will receive college credit. Students must have completed their junior year of high school by the start of summer 2024 to attend.
Exploring Engineering is a residential program on LMU's Los Angeles-area campus. There are no commuter options at this time - all participants are required to live on campus for the duration of their program.
- Gain awareness of modern engineering innovations
- Learn about current Engineering Grand Challenges
- Gain an understanding of how engineering can be used to solve some of the biggest challenges facing society
- Learn to collaborate with peers in hands-on projects
Students who successfully complete this course will receive university credit.
Students enrolled in the Better World Through Engineering course will have the opportunity to visit the Southern California offices and build facilities of some of the world's most recognizable names in engineering innovation. Specific site visit locations to be announced.
Application Fee: $65
2024 Program Cost: $10,000
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for on-campus four-week, credit-bearing course
- Housing and meals for four weeks
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- Weekend social trips off campus
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school seniors only.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- Official High School Transcripts
- $65 Application Fee
- Students must have completed algebra before the start of this program to attend.
Build the World You Want to Live In
Join our mailing list or submit your application by our March 15, 2024 deadline.