A dynamic workshop in on-screen storytelling.Watch Video
Recognized as one of the top 10 film schools in the U.S. by The Hollywood Reporter and located in the heart of the entertainment capital of the world, there’s no better place than the LMU School of Film and Television to cultivate your creative identity this summer.
Under the guidance of full-time faculty, who are also professional screenwriters, students will broaden their writing skills, develop their unique voices, and learn the basic elements of screenwriting. Structure, character development, dialogue, descriptive action, formatting, and genre will be explored and put into practice in a supportive workshop environment.
Coupled with analytical viewings of popular movies - both classic and contemporary - students will have the chance to discuss the art, craft, and business of being a writer in the motion picture industry. Ideal for the highly motivated, students should enter this program open to honest and meaningful collaboration with peers, a willingness to offer and receive constructive criticism, and the desire to learn while having fun.
Beginning Screenwriting is a residential program on LMU's Los Angeles-area campus. There are no commuter options at this time - all participants are required to live on campus for the duration of their program.
Students enrolled in the Beginning Screenwriting course will have the opportunity to tour a local film or television studio.
- Learn the basics of the script development process
- Gain a deeper understanding of cinematic storytelling
- Enhance your writing skills
Application Fee: $65
2024 Program Cost: $5,800
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing and meals for two weeks
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- Two weekend social trips off campus
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
Session 1 (June 23-July 6) is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors.
Session 2 (July 14-July 27) is open to rising high school juniors and seniors only.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Additional Creative Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- $65 application fee
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- A phone interview may be requested after submission of application materials is complete
Write Your Story at LMU
Join our mailing list or submit your summer 2024 application by our March 15, 2024 deadline.