Session Dates: June 23 - July 6, 2024
A two-week workshop examining the fundamentals of journalism.
Journalism is so fundamental to the United States that freedom of the press is among the rights enshrined in the First Amendment along with freedom of speech and religion. For most of American history, the journalism industry was operated by the limited number of companies and wealthy people who owned newspapers and magazines and radio and television stations.
Today, anyone can set up a website and work with words, pictures, and sound on their smartphone. But that does not mean anyone can be a journalist. In this course, students will be introduced to how stories are discovered and written, the best ways to capture images on a phone, and using audio in stories and podcasts. Students will learn the ethics of journalism and explore the journalism industry.
Journalism Workshop is a residential program on LMU's Los Angeles-area campus. There are no commuter options at this time - all participants are required to live on campus for the duration of their program.
In addition to their work in the classroom, students will visit with Los Angeles area journalists and media.
- Gain an important understanding of the journalism industry
- Learn best practices in producing written stories, photojournalism, and podcast news.
- Engage in mature reflection and active discussion on the ethics of journalism
Application Fee: $65
2024 Program Cost: $5,800
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for two-week, non-credit course
- Housing and meals for two weeks
- Course materials
- Use of campus recreation facilities
- Class field trips
- Two weekend social trips off campus
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Fees Page.
This class is open to rising high school sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
Expand Your Horizons at LMU
Join our mailing list or submit your application by our March 15, 2024 deadline.