Graphic Design for Publication
Session Dates: June 27 - July 10, 2021
Designing the World According to You.
Print and digital publications come in all forms and cover a wide variety of important, worldly topics. From political magazines to young adult novels, there are vibrant design opportunities across a spectrum of fields and interests for anyone with the skills to blend design and story. This online course looks at what makes each of those publication types unique, as well as what design elements contribute to making them each a powerful medium in their own right.
An introduction to the basic principles of visual design, daily lessons will be applied to communication problems involving message and audience. After two weeks, students will develop conceptual and problem-solving skills and use them to create graphic form for digital Zine (e-magazine).
This course will cover fundamentals of messaging, image-making, word and image exercises, typographic hierarchy, generating powerful ideas, digital collages, and designing an interactive PDF.
Participants will leave the workshop with submissions for their portfolio or pieces they can submit during the college application process.
Pre-College Summer Programs for high school students will be offered exclusively through online instruction in summer 2021.
Students who participated last summer enjoyed a wide variety of extra-curricular opportunities that enhanced their academic studies. Whether competing for first place in our virtual “House Competition,” receiving daily 1-on-1 and group support from current LMU undergraduates, or dropping into nightly social activities with peers – students felt that one aspect of summer they loved most was the sense of community they built during their time online with LMU.
- Gain a basic understanding of principles and practices of electronic imaging as they apply to graphics, art and design
- Develop conceptual and problem-solving skills to create graphic form for a range of content
- Understand the elements of design for publication and how to apply them, including systems, navigational devices, typography, illustration and photography
Application Fee: $65
2021 Program Cost: $2,700
The program cost includes:
- Tuition for online two-week, non-credit course
- Course books and materials*
- College preparedness workshops with LMU Admission and Financial Aid offices
- Career readiness workshops with LMU's Career and Professional Development office
- Online social activities with LMU's student ambassadors
- Access to current LMU faculty, staff, and students to answer any questions about careers in studio arts and graphic design, the college application process, life at LMU and more!
*A personal computer and internet access are required for this course and are not covered in the cost of tuition and fees.
*Student will be required to obtain access to Adobe Creative Suite. One month of access is $19.99 for students. A free two-week trial is also available if you are unable to purchase this suite. Contact Summer Programs if you have questions about accessing this program.
For additional information about program tuition and fees and payment options, please visit our Tuition and Fees page.
This class is open to rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Online Application
- Personal Essay: Read the Prompt Now
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor
- High School Transcripts
- $65 Application Fee
- TOEFL Scores (for International applicants whose primary language is not English)
The deadline to apply is March 15, 2021.
Design the World You Want to Live In
Graphic Design for Publication pre-college applications are available now.